Wednesday, January 05, 2011

My advice

My top 5

1. Celebrate! Life is short, so take the extra time to celebrate birthdays, holidays, and anniversaries. It doesn't have to be expensive or elaborate. Just the thoughtfulness and togetherness of an event should be embraced!


2. Don't be wasteful! DO NOT spend a lot of money on something that will end in the trash less than an hour after the party ends. That's just throwing away money. Including food. If you have 20 guests, do not prepare food as though it is for 100. It pains me to see people cook a large spread. Remember no one eats that much at a party. It's not your job to provide them 3 meals worth of food. & no one is going to eat all that cake. I laugh every time I see a cake as big as the table and everyone only asks for a very tiny piece. Be mindful. Set a budget and prepare the food appropriately.


3. Go General. License characters cost more, for plates, napkins, invitations, etc. So go general. For example, Spiderman. Instead of buying all things Spiderman, save yourself money and pick a few things that have Spiderman on it and do the rest in matching solid colors.


4. Plan an activity. I've been to events that are gorgeous to the eyes but just plain boring. Don't forget what PARTY means! It should be fun! It should encourage interaction, togetherness, joy! So plan an activity where everyone can let their hair down. I feel this is especially important since everyone is so digital now. Face to face interaction is good for the soul, so make the most out of it.


5. DIY. Make the food, decorate the cake, set the table, make the party favors. It's okay if it's not perfect. It's the thought that counts. When I throw a party I'm sure it would never be pictured in a magazine, but when my kids are older and they look back, I think it will mean so much more to them and to me, that I took the time to handcraft with love all the details for their party. Search the Internet for inspiration and then see what you can do yourself. I have gotten help from my friends plenty of times, its so much more rewarding when you do it yourself... not to mention, less expensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment